POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Computer bug (WIP) : Re: Computer bug (WIP) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:16:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Computer bug (WIP)
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 20 Aug 2009 13:27:59
Message: <4a8d879f@news.povray.org>

> Wow!

   Thanks!

> As I am the author of Eagle3D

   Many thanks for it: I had a lot of fun playing with it!

   As I said, I'm not an engineer, but looks like a very good addition for
Eagle to me. As far as I can tell, the geometry problem is very well solved,
but most of the textures are too simplistic (tough as usual, this is enough
for most users, from what I read on forums).

   As for my changes to your code, this is what I did:

   + replace the light sources by an HDRI-mapped sphere
   + use radiosity and change default finish to ambient 0
   + add reflections almost everywhere, reduce saturation on some colors
   + add some focal blur

   The main problem I found is that, except for a few common textures, the
component textures have to be searched inside the include files... not easy
when you have no idea what kind of part you are looking at.

   Perhaps you could centralize all the textures on a specific include file,
and provide more "common" textures, so people adding parts to the library
could use textures from there, or add new ones if needed. Ideally, I will
avoid declaring textures directly inside the component macros.

   Indeed, I just started to write a quick tutorial about these changes,
because some spanish users of Eagle3D asked me to do it. The spanish version
is almost finished, then I will translate it for the english version of my
site... I will keep you updated.

   Regards,

P.S.: Here are some more shots, without the bug:

http://www.ignorancia.org/uploads/experiments/eagle3d/wips/modsmega-01.jpg
http://www.ignorancia.org/uploads/experiments/eagle3d/wips/modsmega-02.jpg
http://www.ignorancia.org/uploads/experiments/eagle3d/wips/modsmega-03.jpg

--